Immigration news September 2022
1. Starting October 1, 2022, all COVID-19 border requirements, including vaccination, mandatory use of ArriveCAN, and any testing and quarantine/isolation requirements will end for all travelers entering Canada whether by land, air, or sea.
2. Transition to distance learning
Throughout the COVID unprecedented decision was made by the immigration of Canada, allowing students to study online. Those measures allowed the international students to complete up to 100% of their program online from outside of Canada, without affecting their eligibility for PGWP.
This exemption is being extended until August 31, 2023, with the following conditions:
1. Students who submitted their SP application before Aug 31, 2022, can complete up to 100% of their program online, however online study time completed after September 1, 2023, will be reduced from their PGWP.
2. No more than 50% of the courses can be completed online
3. Express entry draws are heading towards pre-covid points. The latest draw made on September 28, 2022, was for 504 points and more. We expect it to be back to pre-Covid closer to the end of the year.
4. Ontario made several draws at the end of September:
a. September 27, 2022
Human Capital Priorities stream- Tech draw ( for Candidates in the Express Entry pool with a score of 496) in the following occupations:
0213 – Computer and information systems managers
2147 – Computer engineers
2172 – Database analysts and data administrators
2173 – Software engineers and designers
2174 – Computer programmer and interactive media developers
2175 – Web designers and developers
b. September 23, 2022, French Speaking Skilled stream( CLB 7 and up) for Candidates in Express Entry pool with a score of 326) in the following occupations:
NOC 0213 – Computer and Information Systems Managers
NOC 2147 – Computer Engineers (Except Software Engineers)
NOC 2172 – Database Analysts and Data Administrators
NOC 2173 – Software Engineers
NOC 2174 – Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers
NOC 2175 – Web Designers and Developers
NOC 3011 - Nursing co-ordinators and supervisors
NOC 3012 – Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses
NOC 3111 - Specialist physicians
NOC 3112 - General practitioners and family physicians
NOC 3113 - Dentists
NOC 3114 - Veterinarians
NOC 3121 - Optometrists
NOC 3122 - Chiropractors
NOC 3124 - Allied primary health practitioners
NOC 3125 - Other professional occupations in health diagnosing and treating
NOC 3131 - Pharmacists
NOC 3132 - Dietitians and nutritionists
NOC 3141 - Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
NOC 3142 - Physiotherapists
NOC 3143 - Occupational therapists
NOC 3144 - Other professional occupations in therapy and assessment
NOC 3211 – Medical laboratory technologists
NOC 3212 - Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants
NOC 3214 - Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists, and cardiopulmonary technologists
NOC 3216 - Medical sonographers
NOC 3217 - Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, n.e.c.
NOC 3219 - Other medical technologists and technicians (except dental health)
NOC 3221 - Denturists
NOC 3222 - Dental hygienists and dental therapists
NOC 3223 - Dental technologists, technicians, and laboratory assistants
NOC 3231 - Opticians
NOC 3232 - Practitioners of natural healing
NOC 3233 – Licensed Practical Nurses
NOC 3236 - Massage therapists
NOC 3237 - Other technical occupations in therapy and assessment
5. JEWISH COMMUNITY PROGRAM IN MANITOBA is back and working.
Candidates with active express entry profiles and intention to live and contribute in Manitoba are being selected by the Jewish community and are getting invitations for exploratory visits.
6. As Canada is fighting a backlog created throughout the Covid, they’ve hired 1250 employees to address this issue and by the end of the year will make a transition to a 100% digital application process for PR and citizenship:
7. Transition from temporary residency to Permanent
While Canada always prioritized candidates who are already in Canada, it now officially introduced a motion to allow workers at ALL SKILL LEVELS( and not only NOC 0, A, or B) access to Permanent residency. The government will issue 5 pillars to address it:
1. Increase immigration levels for temporary workers, who are in Canada already
2. Reform the Express Entry system
3. Improve current PR programs for essential workers and high-demand occupations. This will include allowing more physicians and ease of in-home caregivers and the agri-food sector.
4. Support communities and attract and retain newcomers, mostly allowing those who are needed to stay in Canada.
5. Increasing processing capacity, to do it faster and easier.
8. Building a better immigration system
There are several targets to achieve this goal:
1. Reducing wait time
a. Over 1250 new employees were hired
b. There will be an exemption for PR and TR applicants, who are already in Canada and meet certain criteria from the medical examination requirements.
c. Family reunification will be given priority. Virtual interviews will continue, for those selecting this option( if required) Those applications will be processed within 12 months.
d. Expending online applications for PR ( as stated earlier)
e. Providing better information to clients- there will be a tracker for most of the PR applications, where the applicants will be able to follow up on the progress of the processing of their applications.
f. Citizenship program-Most of the applications can be submitted online as well as continued with virtual ceremonies and online citizenship tests.